Who should take CORE-2022?
The course is recommended for all researchers and students who intend to conduct research involving human participants, as well as REB members and REB administrators. The course may also be of interest to the public.
Am I required to take CORE-2022 if I previously completed CORE and already have a CORE Certificate of Completion?
There is no expiry date to CORE certificates, and it is possible for users who completed CORE prior to the migration to CORE-2022 to download their CORE Certificate of Completion from their user account. Regarding the requirement to complete CORE-2022, this is a decision that belongs to each institution. Following the migration to CORE-2022, some institutions may adopt or change their policies to require that their members (e.g., students, faculty, staff) complete the new version of the course. However, this is not a requirement of the Agencies, and the Panel on Research Ethics is not expecting institutions to adopt or change their policies in a way that would invalidate previously obtained CORE certificates.
How do I access CORE-2022?
From the Welcome page, select “Log-In” and then fill in the required fields to register. An activation email will be sent to the email address that you provide.
If you are a member of a research institution that has made this course a requirement (e.g., course credit, prerequisite for thesis approval, REB review, etc.), you must ensure that you use your institution-specific email address when setting up your account. You must also identify your institution. If your institution does not appear in the drop-down list, you may enter it manually after selecting ‘other’. This information is necessary for your institution to verify that you have successfully completed CORE-2022.
If you are accessing CORE-2022 from an institutional website, note that this is not part of your institution’s website. CORE-2022 is administered by the Secretariat on Responsible Conduct of Research on behalf of the Panel on Research Ethics. Your institution-specific user identification will not work on the CORE-2022 Log-In page.
What should I do if I do not receive an account activation link?
Please check your spam or junk email folder as your email program may have misidentified the activation email as spam. If you do not find it there, please contact our technical support team (email@example.com).
What should I do if I receive the message "Invalid Activation Link"?
- The message "Invalid Activation Link" will appear if the entire link was not copied and pasted into the browser window. Please try again. Alternatively, try selecting the activation link within the activation email only ONCE.
- The message "Invalid Activation Link" will appear if you return to the activation email and select it a second time. This is because your account is already activated. You can therefore proceed to the Log-In page
If these measures do not work, please contact our technical support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to help you resolve the issue.
What should I do if my password is not working or if I have forgotten my password?
You can reset your password by following these steps:
- Go to the CORE-2022 Log-In page.
- Enter your email address in the purple box under "Forgot Your Password" and select "Send". You will see the following message on the screen: "Your password has been reset. Please check your email."
- Check your email for your new temporary password, return to the CORE-2022 Log-In page and use it to log in.
- To change your temporary password to one of your own choosing, select "Account Details" from the menu items at the bottom of the CORE-2022 page, enter a new password and select “Save”.
If you are still having difficulties with your password, please contact our technical support team (email@example.com) to help you resolve the issue.
Once I begin, is there a time limit by which I must complete the course?
No. You can go through the modules at your own pace and in multiple sessions (your progress will be automatically saved). How long you take to complete the course is up to you.
What happens if I fail the knowledge consolidation exercise (KCE)?
You will not receive a certificate of completion. However, you will have the opportunity to retake the KCE.
How can I print my Certificate of Completion?
There are three ways to print your certificate:
- From the Congratulations page that appears when you successfully complete the KCE: Select the link to your certificate then select “Print certificate”.
- From the Dashboard below the list of modules: Select “View/Print certificate”, then select “Print certificate”.
- From the Dashboard below the list of modules: Select “Email certificate”. Check your email. Download the pdf file. Open the pdf file. Print the pdf file.
Note: Ensure that the orientation in the printer settings is set to “landscape”, not “portrait”.
How can my institution verify my successful completion of CORE-2022?
Your institution can only verify your successful completion of CORE-2022 if:
- The institution has Institutional Access to CORE-2022;
- You have entered your institution-specific email address in your profile (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org); and
- You have identified that institution as your institutional affiliation. You may change your profile information at any time by logging into CORE-2022 and going to the Account Details link at the bottom of the page.
If you are certain that all the above conditions apply and you are still having difficulty, please contact your REB. They will direct you to the person at your institution responsible for verifying the successful completion of CORE-2022. You may ask this person to search for your profile information on their access page. If they cannot find your profile, you may ask them to send a help request to the CORE-2022 technical support team (email@example.com) to resolve the issue.
How should I cite CORE-2022?
The recommended format for citing CORE-2022 is as follows:
Panel on Research Ethics. TCPS 2: CORE-2022 (Course on Research Ethics). Retrieved from: http://tcps2core.ca/welcome (Accessed Month Day Year).
What if I have any other technical problems with the course?
Please contact our technical support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to help you resolve the issue.